Professor of Organic Chemistry
Department of Chemistry, 16059
Mechanistic and synthetic organic and organometallic chemistry. Development of new methods for organic synthesis, with particular emphasis on physical-organic studies of reactivity and selectivity. Effect of factors as substituents, solvents, concentration and catalysts on the diastereoselectivity of organic reactions. Rearrangement reactions. Stereoselective synthesis of natural products.
2o11-present: Uludag University
2010-2011: SFSU CA USA
1989-present: Uludağ University
Professor of Organic Chemistry (September 1999-present)
Associated Professor (May 1993-September 1999)
Assistant Professor (December 1989-September 1993)
1987-1989: University of Plovdiv Paisiy Hilendarsky
Assistant Professor (March 1987-June 1989)
1989-1994: University of Uludağ, Bursa, Turkey.
Degree awarded: Ph.D.
Research advisor: Professor Doğan Sümengen
Thesis title: Synthesis and Reactions of 1,2,3,4-Tetrahydro-4-phenylisoquinolin-3-ones, 4-arylisoquinolinium salts, imidazoline 3-oxides and 5,6-dihydro-4H-1,2,5-oxadiazinanes.
1987-1989: Plovdiv University, Plovdiv, Bulgaria.
Thesis title: Application of imminium salts in the synthesis of heterocyclic compounds
Research advisors: Professor Nikola M. Mollov and Atanas P. Venkov
1980-1984: Plovdiv University, Plovdiv, Bulgaria.
Degree awarded: B.S. in chemistry
Research advisor: Asoc.Professor Elena Gergova
AWARDS AND HONORS
ADMINISTRATIVE FUNCTIONS AND COUNCIL MEMBERSHIPS:
EDITORIAL BOARD OF REFEREES MEMBERSHIPS:
Born October 21, 1960, Bulgaria. Married to Sevinç on April 26, 1981. A daughter and son (Tezcan and Mümin)
LIST OF PUBLICATIONS:
1.Venkov, A.P.; Coşkun, N. (formerly D. Vodenicharov). A New Synthesis of 1,2,3,4-Tetrahydro-2-methyl-4-phenylisoquinolines. Synthesis, 1990, 253–255.
2. Venkov A.P.; Coşkun, N. (formerly D. Vodenicharov); Ivanov I. Synthesis of 4-aryl- 1,4-dihydro-3(2H)-isoquinolinones by Oxidative Cyclization of N-Benzylarylacetamides. Synthesis,1991, 476–478.
3. Coşkun,N.; Sümengen, D. A New Synthesis of N-Substituted 1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-4-phenylisoquinolin-3-ones. Synthetic Communications, 1993, 23 (10), 1393–1402.
4. Coşkun,N.; Sümengen, D. New Methods for the Synthesis of Imidazolin-N-oxides. Synthetic Communications, 1993, 23 (12), 1699–1706.
5.Coşkun,N.; Sümengen, D. A Convenient synthesis of 1,2,3,4-Tetrahydro-4-arylisoquinolin-4-ol Derivatives. Chimica Acta Turcica, 1996, 24, 151–154.
6. Coşkun,N.; Asutay, O.; Sümengen, D. New synthesis of 1,2,4-Triarylimidazole Derivatives. Chim. Acta Turc., 1996, 24, 165-167.
7. Coşkun,N.; Tirli, F. Reactivity of Benzylic Acylammonium Chlorides. A Novel Method for the Synthesis of N-
phenacylamides. Synthetic Communications, 1997, 27 (1), 1–9.
8. Coşkun,N. Regio and Diastereoselective Addition of Imidazolin 3-oxides to Aryl Isocyanates. Tetrahedron Letters, 1997, 38 (13), 2999–2302.
9. Coşkun,N. Regio and Diastereoselective Addition of Imidazolin 3-oxides to Aryl Isocyanates. Tetrahedron, 1997, 53 (40), 13873–13882.
10. Coşkun,N.; Asutay, O. A Novel Synthesis of 1,4-Diaryl and 1,2,4-Triaryl-Δ3-imidazoline-3-oxides.Chmiica Acta Turcica,1997, 25, 69–72.
11.Coşkun,N.;, Büyükuysal, L. Synthesis of 7,12-Dihydro-12-phenyl-5H-6,12-methanodibenz[c,f]azocines via N,N-dibenzylphenacylamines. Heterocycles, 1998, 48 (1), 53–59.
12. Coşkun,N.; Ay, M. Regio and Diastereoselective 1,3-dipolar Cycloaddition of Imidazoline 3-Oxides to Styrene.Heterocycles, 1998, 48 (3), 537–544
13. Coşkun,N.; Asutay,O. Convenient Synthesis of 1,4-Diaryl and 1,2,4-Triaryl-Δ3-imidazoline-3-oxides.Chim. Acta Turc.,1999, 27 (1), 17-23.
14.Coşkun,N. Reactivity of bis(Arylcarbamoyl)-phenacylamine oximes. Synthesis of 1,3-Dihydroimidazol-2-ones and N-Unsubstituted O-Arylcarbamoylhydroxylamines. Tetrahedron, 1999, 55 (2), 475–484.
15.Coşkun,N.; Arıkan, N. Direct Conversion of Aldehydes into Nitriles via O-Phenylcarbamoylated Aldoximes. Tetrahedron,1999, 55 (40), 11943–11948.
16. Coşkun,N.; Tirli Tat, F.; Özel, Ö. Beckmann Fragmentation of Diphenylcarbamoylated N-Aryldiphenacylamine dioximes. New Method for the Synthesis of Imidazooxadiazolones. Synthetic Communications, 1999, 29 (22), 3889–3894.
17. Coşkun,N.; Tirli, F.; Özel,Ö.; Ülkü, D.; Arıcı, C. The first examples of di- and cis-triaryl-3a,4,5,6-tetrahydroimidazo[1,5-b]isoxazoles and their ring opening reactions. Tetrahedron Letters, 2000, 41 (28), 5407–5409.
18. Coşkun,N.; Tirli Tat, F.; Özel Güven, Ö. Synthesis of di- and cis triaryl-3a-4,5,6-tetrahydroimidazo[1,5-b] isoxazoles and their ring-opening reactions. Tetrahedron, 2001, 57 (16), 3413–3417.
19. Coşkun,N.; Tirli Tat, F.; Özel Güven. Ö. The first regio-and diastreoselective synthesis of homochiral perhydroimidazoisoxazoles via the 1,3-dipolar cycloaddition of imidazoline 3-oxides with (1S)-(-)-β-pinene. Tetrahedron: Asymmetry, 2001, 12 (10), 1463–1467
20. Coşkun,N. Secondary Amine Mediated Ring-Opening of Tetrahydroimidazo[1,5-b][1,2,4] oxadiazol-2 (1H)-ones. Turk. J. Chem., 2001, 25 (3), 267-272. 21. Coşkun,N.; Arıkan, N. Search for a nonelectrocyclic cyclization of nitrostyrene Rearrangements of Michael adducts from DMAD and α-dialkylamino oximes. Turk. J. Chem., 2003, 27 (1), 15-20.
22.Coşkun,N.; Er, M. Efficent and chemoselective alkylbromoacetate-Zn mediated transesterification method. Tetrahedron,2003, 59 (19), 3481–3485. 23.Coşkun, N.; Tirli Tat, F. Synthesis and ring opening reactions of tetrahydroimidazo-[1,5-b][1,2,4]oxadiazol-2(1H)-thiones.Phosphorus Sulfur And Sılıcon,2003, 178, (4), 881–886.
24. Coşkun,N.; Tirli Tat, F. Synthesis and reactivity of tetrahydroimidazo [1,5-b][1,2,4]oxadiazol-2(1H)-thiones. Turk J Chem., 2004, 28, (1), 1-7.
25. Coşkun,N.; Yılmaz, B. Synthesis of 4-Oxo-3a,4,5,6-tetrahydroimidazo[1,5-b]isoxazole-3-carboxylic Acid Esters. Synthetic Communications, 2004, 34, (9), 1617–1623.
26. Coşkun,N.; Mild and Efficient Method for the Synthesis of Nitriles. Synthetic Communications, 2004, 34, (9), 1625–1630.
27. Aygün, M.; Karabiyik, H.; Coşkun,N. Conformational And StructuralAnalysis Of 6-(4-Methoxy-phenyl)-1,5,7a-triphenyl-tetrahydroimidazo[1,5-b][1,2,4]oxadiazol-2-one. Spectroscopy Letters, 2004, 37, (6), 553–564.
28. Coşkun,N.; Çetin, M. Synthesis of 2-aryl-1,2,3,4-tetrahydroquinazolin-1-ols and their conversion to 7-aryl-9H-6-oxa-5,8-diaza-benzocycloheptenes. Tetrahedron Letters, 2004, 45 (49), 8973–8975.
29. Karabıyık, H.; Aygün, M.; Coşkun,N.; Kazak, C. Crystallographic and conformational analysis of 2-methyl-3-(2-nitro-phenyl)-4-phenyl-[1,2,4]oxadiazolidin-5-one. Journal of Chemical Crystallography, 2005, 35, (8), 577–582.
30. Coşkun,N.; Kızılkuşak, Y.T. Novel Methods for the Synthesis of 4-Arylisoquinolinium Perchlorates and 4-Arylisoquinolin-1-ones. Synthetic Communications, 2005, 35 (18), 2435–2443.
31. Coşkun,N.; Parlar, A. One-Pot Synthesis and Hydroxylaminolysis of Asymmetrical Acyclic Nitrones. Synthetic Communications, 2005, 35 (18), 2445–2451.
32. Coşkun,N.; Er, M. New Alkoxyzinc Salts Mediated Chemoselective Transesterification Reactions. Turk J Chem., 2005, 29 (5), 455 - 461.
33. Coşkun,N.; Tunçman, S. Synthesis of stable azomethine ylides by the rearrangement of 1,3-dipolar cycloadducts of 3,4-dihydroisoquinoline-2-oxides with DMAD. Tetrahedron, 2006, 62, 1345–1350.
34. Coşkun,N.; Mert, H.; Arıkan, N. Dipolar cycloadditions of imidazoline 3-oxides with N-arylmaleimides. Synthesis and diethylamine induced ring-opening of exo and endo hexahydro-7-oxa-2,5,6a-triaza-cyclopenta[a]pentalene-1,3-diones.Tetrahedron, 2006, 62 (7), 1351–1359.
35. Coşkun,N.; Parlar, A. Cycloaddition of acyclic nitrones with phenyl isocyanate: Synthesis and ring-opening reactions of 1,2,4-oxadiazolidin-5-ones. Synthetic Communications, 2006, 36, (8), 997–1004.
36.Coşkun,N.; Parlar, A,; Karabiyik, H.; Aygun, M.; Buyukgungor, O. Supramolecular architecture of phenylcarbamoylated acetone oxime 1,1-diisopropyl-3-phenylurea] complex.
Structural Chemistry, 2006, 17, (4), 431–438.
37. Coşkun,N.; Ozturk, A. Synthesis and new rearrangements of 4-isoxazolin-4,5-dicarboxylic acid derivatives. Tetrahedron,2006, 62, (51), 12057–12063.
38. Coşkun,N.; Öztürk, A. Substituent control in the diastereoselectivity of dipolar cycloadditions of nitrones and their Zn(II) complexes with N-arylmaleimides. Tetrahedron, 2007, 63, (6), 1402–1410.
39. Coşkun,N.; Çetin, M. A New Regioselective Synthesis and Ambient Light Photochemistry of Quinazolin-1-oxides.Tetrahedron, 2007, 63, (14), 2966–2972.
40. Coşkun,N.; Asutay, O. Imidazolidin-1-oles, N-2-aminoethyl nitrones and 1,2,5-oxadiazinanes. A novel ring–chain tautomerism. Tetrahedron Letters, 2007, 48, (29), 5151–5155.
41.Coşkun, N.; Cetin, M. Rearrangements of tetrahydroimidazo[1,5-b]isoxazole-2,3-dicarboxylates to pyrrolo[1,2-e]imidazol-6-ols, precursors of 2,5-dihydro-1H-pyrrole derivatives, Tetrahedron, 2009 , 65, 648-658.
42. Karabıyık H, Gökçe AG, Coşkun, N.; et al., Supramolecular Architecture in the 1:1 Co-Crystallization of 6,7-Dimethoxy-2-methyl-4-phenylisoquinolinium Cation with Perchlorate Anion
J. Chem. Cryst, 2009, 39, 279-284.
43. Coşkun, N.; Aksoy, Ç. Imidazolidin-1-ol, nitrone and oxadiazinane ring-chain-ring tautomeric dynamic combinatorial library, Tetrahedron Lett. 2009, 50, 3008-3012.
44. Coşkun, N.; Çetin, M. Thermal rearrangements of tetrahydroimidazo[1,5-b]isoxazole-2,3-dicarboxylates. Synthesis of3H-imidazol-1-ium ylides and their silver complexesTetrahedron, 2010, 66, 2053-2060
45.Er, M; Coskun, N cis-(-)-Menthyl phenylglycidates in the asymmetric synthesis of taxol side chain Arkivoc, 2009, 153-160
46.Er, M; Coskun, N,Substituent Effect on the Asymmetric Induction with (1R,2S,5R)-and (1S,2R,5S)-menthol Auxiliaries J. Chem. Soc. of Pakistan,2010, 32, 198-208
47. Asutay, O; Coskun, N: Selective reduction of 1,4-diarylimidazoline-3-oxides to imidazolidin-1-ols and hydroxylamine derivatives MONATSHEFTE FUR CHEMIE 2010, 141, 901-905
48. Coşkun, N.;Erden, I. An efficient catalytic method for fulvene synthesis. Tetrahedron 2011,67, (45), 8607-8614.
49. Coşkun, N.;Ma, J.; Azimi, S.; Gaertner, C.; Erden, I. 1,2-Dihydropentalenes from Fulvenes by [6+2] Cycloadditions with 1-Isopropenylpyrrolidine. Organic Letters 2011,13, (22), 5952-5955.
Intermediates in the Synthesis of Isoquinolines. 35thIUPAC Congress, 1995, İstanbul, 538.
8. Coşkun, N. Synthesis structure And Reactions of some 1,3-Dipolar Cycloadducts of Imidazoline-3-oxides. Mustafa Kemal University-International Organic Chemistry Meeting, March 25-28, 2002, Antakya, Hatay-TURKEY.
9. Coşkun, N.; Asutay, O.; Sümengen, D. Δ3-Imidazolin-3-oxid Sentezleri. X. National Chemistry congress 1994, Bursa.
10. Coşkun, N. 7,12-Dihydro-12-sübstitüe-5H-6,12-metanodibenz[c,f]azocine Sentezleri. X. National Chemistry congress,Eylül 1994, Bursa.
11. Coskun,N. Regio and Diastereoselective 1,3-Dipolar Cycloaddition of Imidazoline N-oxides to Aryl Isocyanates. XI. National Chemistry congress, 1997, Van, 178.
12. Coskun, N.;Ay, M. Regio and Diastereoselective 1,3-Dipolar Cycloaddition of Styrene to Imidazoline N-oxides. XI. National Chemistry congress, 1997, Van, 221.
13. Coşkun, N. Abnormal Beckmann Rearrangement of N-Aryl-N,N-Diphenacylamine Dioximes. New Routs for the Synthesis of 1,2,5-Oxadiazines and Imidazooxadiazolones. XI. National Chemistry congress, 1997, Van, 579.
14. Coşkun,N. Ispir, A.H. Synthesis of Imidazo[1,5-b]oxadiazol-2(1H)-ones and Their conversions to Imidazoles. XI. National Chemistry congress, 1997, Van, 580.
15. Coşkun, N.;Asutay, O. A New Synthesis of 1,3,4-Trisubstituted-1,3-dihydroimidazol-2-ones. XI. National Chemistry congress, 1997, Van, 581.
16. Coşkun,N.; Asutay, O. A Novel Synthesis of Imidazoles by SiO2Catalized Thermal Vacuum Dehydration of Imidazoline N-Oxides. XI. National Chemistry congress, 1997, Van, 619.
17.Tat, F.T.; Güven, Ö.Ö.; Coşkun, N.* Diastereoselective 1,3-Dipolar cycloaddition of imidazoline 3-oxides to dimethylacetylenedicarboxylate. XIII. National Chemistry congress, 31 august - 1 September 1999, Samsun.
18. Coşkun,N.; Arıkan, N. A New Method For the conversion of aldehydes into nitriles.XIII. Ulusal Kimya Kongresi, 31 august - 1 September 1999, Samsun.
19. Coşkun, N. First examples of oxyranone derivatives via rearrangement of O-phenylcarbamoylated α-dialkylaminoacetopheneone oximes. XIII. Ulusal Kimya Kongresi, 31 august - 1 September 1999, Samsun.
20. Coşkun,N.; Arıkan, N. Rearrangement of α-Dialkylaminoacetophenone oximes in the presence of DMAD synthesis of dimethyl Dialkylaminomethylenoxi-1,4-butendioate. XIV. National Chemistry congress, 10-15 September 2000, Diyarbakır.
21. Coşkun,N.; Tirli Tat, F. Rearrangement of Di-and cis Triaryl-3A,4,5,6-Tetrahydroimidazo[1,5-b] isoxazoles. XIV. National Chemistry congress, 10-15 September 2000, Diyarbakır.
22. Coşkun, N.; Tirli Tat, F.; Özel Güven, Ö. Regio and Enantioselective addition of (1S)-β-pinene to di-and triarylimidazoline 3-oxides. XIV. National Chemistry congress, 10-15 September 2000, Diyarbakır.
23. Coşkun, N.; Er, M. Selective crossesterification of 3A,4,5,6-tetrahydroimidazo [1,5-b]isoxazole-2,3-dicarboxylic Acid Dimethyl ester derivatives at the reformatsky reaction conditions. XVI. National Chemistry congress, 10-13 Septemberl2002, Konya, 607.
1. Synthesis ofN-Substituted-1,2,3,4-tetrahydro-4-arylisoquinoline derivatives and evaluation of their antidepressant activity. Uludağ University Research Fund Project No 91/27.
2. Synthesis and investigation of the pharmacological effects of 4-arylisoquinoline derivatives.
Turkish scientific and technological research council (TUBİTAK), project No: SBAG-1451.
3. Synthesis and investigation of the antimicrobial activities of 1,4-diaryl- and 1,2,4-Triarylimidazolin N-oxides.Uludağ University Research Fund Project No: 97/24.
4. Synthesis of taxol side chain analogues.Uludağ University Research Fund Project No: 2000/36.
5. Synthesis of isocitric and citric acids. Uludağ University Research Fund Project No: 2000/38.
6.An investigation on the Baccatin III content of Taxus Bacata'nın growing in Uludağ mountain. Uludağ University Research Fund Project No: 2000/35.
7. An investigation on the Hetero Diels Alder reactions of oxocarboxylic acid enol ethers. Uludağ University Research Fund Project No: 2000/37.
8. Synthesis of taxol analogues and evaluation of their anticancer activities. State planning organization project No: 2001/02.
9. Rearrangements of tetrahydroimidazo[1,5-b]isoxazoles: Synthesis of stable 3H-imidazol-1-ium ylides, precursors of bidentate NHCs. Turkish scientific and technological research council (TUBİTAK), project No: 107T840 (2008-).